Windows Server 2003 is the more scalable and better performing successor of Windows Server 2000. This article describes how to install Windows Server 2003 R2.
The first part of the Windows Server installation uses a text user interface.
1. Boot your computer from the Windows 2003 R2 CD number 1. Press Enter
in the Welcome to Setup
2. Press F8
to agree to the Windows Licensing Agreement.
3. Select the partition where you wish to install Windows 2003 and press Enter
4. Select the file system of the partition and press Enter
to start the format process. The default which is NTFS file system
is the best.
5. Install will now start copying the basic files and will automatically reboot when finished.
The second part of the Windows Server installation uses a graphical user interface.
1. After rebooting, installation will continue in a GUI environment.
2. Customize the way number, dates, currencies and time are displayed and click Next
3. Fill in the Name
fields and click Next
4. Enter your Product Key and click Next
5. Select your licensing mode and click Next
6. Fill in the Computer name
, Administrator password
and Confirm password
and click Next
7. Set the correct date and time and click Next
8. Leave the default selection Typical Settings
and click Next
9. Choose whether the computer will be a member of a workgroup or a domain and click Next
10. Setup will continue copying files and automatically reboot when finished.
Windows Server Setup
The third part of the Windows Server installation will be performed inside Windows Server itself.
1. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del
to log on to Windows.
2. Type in your password and click Ok
3. Load the Windows Server 2003 R2 CD number 2 and click Ok
4. Click Next
5. Click Next
6. Setup is now updating the files.
7. Click Finish
Windows Server Post Setup
Before completing the Windows Server installation, we need to install the latest updates available.
1. If an internet connection is available, click Update this server
to begin updating your server. Next click Configure automatic updating for this server
2. Click Finish
and click Yes
in the confirmation dialog.
3. Your Windows Server 2003 is now available.